Wednesday 13 January 2016

The truth about acne. //Accutane

Accutane update.

If you know me you'll know bad skin is something that's always been close to me. I'm now 20 years old and looking back I think I've suffered with acne for the past 4/5 years. I can't really remember a time of me not having bad skin which I think is quite sad. My skin was very oily, dehydrated and had a lot of hyper pigmentation and scars.

There is so much more to acne than 'spots' it's a very emotionally draining thing to have to deal with. I remember wakening up and avoiding mirrors and holding my breath when catching my reflection due to trying to stop myself from crying or screaming. I am a horrible person to be around with acne and I'm so thankful to have a family who are supportive and have put up with my attitude. As I've got older I've become aware of all the emotional side effects acne has given me, paranoia is the main one, I am so paranoid. If I have no makeup on and someone looks at me, even my own mother I will think she's judging me, thinking of all these horrible things of how I look. It's a hard habits to break due to having horrible comments made me in the past from strangers. Physically? Acne is very sore, especially cystic acne. I would get huge cystic spots and one time I had a line of cystic spots coming up my cheek which were all very close together and that was the finally straw.

In 2014 my acne got very bad to the point where my face ached. I bit the bullet and went to the doctors, I got put on antibiotics and cream for the spots. I think I'd like to say how supportive my doctor was, she listened and understood the emotional side effects acne was giving me. From then all went good from there, my skin appeared good and I was starting to feel so much better in myself. Let's skip forward, mid 2015 my skin became bad again, if you've ever looked into antibiotics you'll know the major side effects it can have on your body that I wasn't willing to put up with when it wasn't helping the problem. I went back to my doctor who referred me to dermatology to see what we could do next. My dermatologist suggested, Accutane/Roaccutane and at first I freaked out, I had horror stories are this drug but it was my last option.  I decided to start the treatment knowing all the side effects it could give me. I'm currently 3 months into my treatment and I can honestly say it's the best thing I could have done, My skin is much more smoother, I can't remember the last time I had an active break out and my scar is reducing. I'm still not 100% confident on my skin and I think that'll come with time and not medication.

I really wnated to do this post for me and others who suffer with acne. I could do other post if it's needed. I'd really like to have this place so I can update on my treatment. If there any questions you would like to know I'd be  happy to answer from my own experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment